Banner.jpg (54143 bytes)


The Invisible Tie That Binds

In studying the genealogy of the Ware family, it has always been interesting to see how many different family names are intertwined with ours by birth, marriage, adoption, or land ownership.  With James and Agnes Ware, the family lines reach far and wide, but none more interestingly so than the connection we find between the Ware, Crittenden, Taylor, Blackburn, and Hay families.  It is as if the ‘invisible thread’ that connects us with our past comes full circle in these names.

When the Wares came to Kentucky in the late 1700s, it was to build a future on land that had previously been foreign to them.  Aside from wandering Native Americans, the acreage on which James built his first cabin was totally virgin soil – untouched and unmarred.  The land grant he was awarded for his patriotic service to his country allowed him to choose some of the most beautiful, rich property in the area.  All the years of struggle, the dangerous journey through the Cumberland Gap, and the trials and sacrifices needed to fulfill his dreams for the future of his family would find redemption in this lush, promising Kentucky earth.  The Ware patriarch clearly wanted to leave some kind of legacy for his descendants, but there is no way that he could have ever known how far-reaching his dreams would go.  Searching the horizon of his vast property, James would have been astounded to learn that (almost 220 years after his death) his acquisition would still be owned by his heirs.  Granted, the names would be different due to marriages and the blood ties would zigzag back and forth a few times, but the genealogical ties would be strong and ownership of the land can, amazingly, be traced back for nine generations. 

Before going into a more detailed history of the link between James Ware, the Crittendens, and the Hays, the following will show a “short cut” version of where the families connect.  This is strictly the lineage from James Ware I to the current owners of both Wareland and Scotland (Scotland being the portion of land Edmund Ware claimed out of his father’s original land acquisition.)  For clarification purposes, I wish to remind the reader that “Scotland” (the name I will use in the narrative) was known by three names.  It started out as Wareland, then Locust Hill, and finally Scotland.  The narrative will explain how this came to be.  I will also be using color-coded names to help identify the major families with the property and history that pertains to them.


GENERATION 1   James Ware I & Agnes T. Ware = son, William Ware

GENERATION 2   William Ware marries Sarah Samuel = daughter, Elizabeth Ware          

GENERATION 3   Elizabeth Ware marries John Bacon = son, Williamson Ware Bacon

GENERATION 4   Williamson Ware Bacon marries Anne Maria Noel = daughter, Laura Ware Bacon

GENERATION 5   Laura Ware Bacon marries Major Eugene Crittenden (son of John J. Crittenden) = daughter, Sarah (Ware) Bacon Crittenden

GENERATION 6    Sarah (Ware) Bacon Crittenden marries J. Swigert Taylor (son of E.H. Taylor & Frances Johnson) = daughter, Mary Belle Taylor

GENERATION 7    Mary Belle Taylor marries Charles Walter Hay = the following 5 children:

(1) Edmund H. Taylor Hay who weds Ruth Williams

(2) Eugenia Crittenden Hay who weds Samuel Everett Blackburn                                           

(3) Charles Walter Hay who weds Nell Hunter

(4) Jacob Swigert Taylor Hay died at 2 months

(5) Jacob (Jake) Swigert Taylor Hay who weds Mary Elizabeth Hunter


Edmund H Taylor Hay and Ruth Williams have:

E. H. Taylor Hay (known as Taylor)
Mary Belle Hay
Williams Hay



Eugenia Crittenden Hay and Samuel Everett Blackburn have:

(1) Samuel Everett Blackburn

(2) James Weir Blackburn 1939-1979

(3)Robert Lyle Blackburn

(4)Jacob Swigert Blackburn

(5)Edmund Taylor Blackburn 1945-2011

(6)Eugenia Crittenden (Crit) Blackburn (Luallen)



The current owners of Scotland are the children of Edmund H. Taylor Hay and Ruth Williams, and the owners of Wareland are the

surviving children of Eugenia Crittenden Hay and Samuel Everett Blackburn.

This map provides a good visual representation of properties that were in the area of where the Wares lived – it may not be accurate scalewise or in depiction of time 

Map showing the closeness of Wareland (in red) to Scotland (in brown).
Blackburn’s fort is highlighted in blue


The basic connection between the Crittenden, Taylor, Hay, Blackburn and Ware families all began with the union of Laura Ware Bacon (daughter of Williamson Ware Bacon and great granddaughter of William Ware) to Major Eugene Wilkinson Crittenden.  Born July 3, 1832, Eugene was the son of Governor John Jordon Crittenden and his second wife, Maria Knox Innes. 

The Crittenden family had a long and illustrious history in the development of Colonial America, going back to Eugene’s grandfather, John, who was a Revolutionary War veteran.  Born in 1754, the senior Crittenden served as an officer in the Continental Army and a major political figure in Virginia from 1790 to 1805. “He was the scion of a powerful family of politicians and military officers who played key roles in the politics of several southern states through the end of the 19th century.” (Ref. Wikipedia)   On August 21, 1783, John married Judith Harris (daughter of John Harris and Obedience Turpin) and he spent time surveying land with George Rogers Clark after the war.  Eight children were born to John and Judith - including the notable statesmen John Jordon Crittenden, Eugene’s father.

John J. Crittenden was born September 10, 1787, near Versailles, Woodford County, Kentucky.

John Jordan Crittenden

He was a consummate politician; representing his home state of Kentucky in both the United States House of Representatives and the Senate.  He also served twice as the United States Attorney General during the administrations of William Henry Harrison and Millard Fillmore.  In addition to those honors, he was the seventeenth governor of Kentucky and served in the state legislature.

Governor Crittenden married three times.  His first wife, Sarah Lee, was a cousin of future president Zachary Taylor.  The couple wed on May 27, 1811, and Sarah delivered seven children before her death in 1824.  Two sons from this marriage ended up fighting against each other in the Civil War.  General George Crittenden fought for the Confederacy, and General Thomas Leonidas Crittenden fought for the Union.     

Thomas Leonidas Crittenden

George Bibb Crittenden

Eugene Wilkinson Crittenden, the husband of Laura Ware Bacon, was the product of John’s second marriage to a widow named Maria Knox Todd.  When they wed on November 15, 1826, Crittenden took Todd's three children from her first marriage as his own, and the couple had two more children:  John and Eugene.     

Maria Knox Crittenden (Ref. 2527)

When Eugene was 20 years old, his mother died of an unknown illness on September 8, 1851.  Two years later, on February 27, 1853, Crittenden married for the third and final time to widow Elizabeth Moss.

In 1825, during a time when Crittenden was serving as the state’s attorney general, he was closely acquainted with Congressman Solomon Sharp, the husband of James Ware’s great granddaughter, Eliza Scott Sharp.  As mentioned in Chapter Six, Solomon was assassinated on the very morning the legislature was to convene.  Crittenden introduced a resolution condemning Sharp's murder and offered $3,000 for the murderer's capture.” (Ref. Wikipedia)

Eugene Wilkinson Crittenden

The Ware and Crittenden families were destined to merge after the birth of Eugene Wilkinson Crittenden in 1832.  Sometime around 1857, the young man married Laura Ware Bacon, the daughter of Williamson Ware Bacon and Anne Maria Noel.  Williamson was the grandson of William and Sarah Samuel Ware and the great grandson of James and Agnes Todd Ware.

Excerpt from Bacon Bible

Continuing his family’s tradition of military service, Eugene graduated from a military academy in 1855.  According to The Fourth Regiment of Cavalry history compiled in the office of the Military Service Institution, he was listed as a second lieutenant in 1855, serving alongside such other officers as J. E. B. Stuart and Joe Johnston. (see list below)

Colonel: Edwin V. Sumner
Lieut. Col.: Joseph E. Johnston
Majors: William H. Emory; John Sedgwick
Captains: Delos B. Sacket, Thomas J. Wood,  George B. McClellan,  Samuel D. Sturgis,  William D. de Saussure,  William S. Walker,  George T. Anderson,  Robert S. Garnett
First Lieuts. : William NL. R. Beale,  George H. Steuart, James McIntosh, Robert Ransom,  Eugene A. Carr,  Alfred Iverson, Frank Wheaton.
Second Lieuts.: David S. Stanley,  James E. B. Stuart,  Elmer Otis, James B. McIntyre, 
Eugene W. Crittenden,  Albert B. Colburn,  Francis L. Vinton,  George D. Bayard, L. L. Lomax,  Joseph H. Taylor.    Military record

The following is a detailed record of his military service from a work titled 
Across the Continent
, published in 1883:
“Crittenden, being employed in operations against hostile Indians and in protecting the overland 
emigration from September, 1857 to August, 1861, was then transferred to Washington and
served during the war of the Rebellion, being continuously in the field and in various positions
of trust until the surrender of the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia at Appomattox in April,
1865.  He was engaged in many of the important battles of the Army of the Potomac, and
frequently received distinguished mention for gallant and meritorious conduct.

He served with the cavalry forces in the defenses of Washington during the winter of 1861-62; participated in the Virginia Peninsular campaign, and was engaged in the siege of Yorktown, the battle of Williamsburg, and in the movement towards Richmond, including several skirmishes with the enemy.  He was engaged in a dashing and successful reconnaissance near New Bridge, on the Chickahominy, May 24, 1862, where he commanded a squadron, and for gallant conduct on that occasion received a special mention in the report of General McClellan, and was made a brevet major.  He commanded his regiment during the Maryland campaign, being engaged in the battles of South Mountain and Antietam.  He was then assigned to duty in Washington until January, 1863; he participated in the Rappahannock campaign, commanding his regiment during February and March, 1863.  He took part in General Stoneman's raid of April and May, 1863, and in the Pennsylvania campaign; was engaged in the battle of Gettysburg, and commanded his regiment in the engagements at Williamsport, Boonsboro, Funkstown, Falling Waters, and Manassas Gap during July, 1863.  He again commanded his regiment from October, 1863, to February, 1864, and thereafter his company until May, 1864; was chiefly engaged on picket-duty on the Rapidan River, but participated in the cavalry engagement near Culpepper Court-House.  He served as an aide-de-camp for Generals Merritt and Torbert in the Richmond campaign, participated in General Sheridan's first raid on Richmond and in the second raid to Trevillian Station, and was made a brevet lieutenant colonel, to date from June 11, 1864, for gallant and meritorious services at the battle of Trevillian Station.  He served at different periods during 1863-64 as chief ordnance officer and commissary of musters of the cavalry corps, April - June, 1863; as commissary of musters for the First Division cavalry corps, May - August, 1864; as commissary of musters for the cavalry corps in the Shenandoah campaign and as special inspector of cavalry in the Department of West Virginia until December 1864 when he was assigned as assistant commissary of musters of the First Cavalry Division; Army of the Shenandoah, and served in that capacity until May, 1865.  He was then transferred to the trans-Mississippi campaign as inspector-general of the cavalry in Texas, and also served on the staff of General Merritt as acting assistant adjutant general and acting inspector-general until November, 1865, when he rejoined his regiment in Kansas; had stations at Forts Riley and Dodge, commanding his company and performing garrison and field duty, until August, 1866, when he was assigned to recruiting service in New York City, and served there until December, 1867.  He was promoted a major in the Fourth Cavalry, to date from November 1, 1867; served with his regiment in Texas, and had stations at Forts McKavett, Concho, and Griffin.  Upon the reduction of the army in 1870 he was placed on the list of unassigned officers, and honorably mustered out of service on the 1st of January, 1871.  He engaged in civil pursuits until February 10, 1873, when he was reappointed, with his original rank, to the Fifth Cavalry. . .”

In 1873, Eugene was stationed as a commander at Fort Bowie in Arizona.  Records show him serving there “from October 1873 until 1874.” (Ref. 2566)  The fort played an important role in the army's campaigns against the Chiricahua Apaches, but it was a desolate and dangerous place.  Geronimo, a formidable enemy of the soldiers, maintained a “no mercy shown” approach to any prisoners he captured during his countless raids for supplies and cattle.


Located in an isolated, barren stretch of Arizona, Fort Bowie offered little in the way of comfort or hospitality.  During the time Eugene was stationed there, the Indian chief named Cochise surrendered, creating an “expectation throughout the army chain of command that the site might be abandoned at any time.”  (Ref. 2566)   That decision did not come to pass until 1894, however, when the last troops were withdrawn.  In the meantime, the presence of Geronimo still made the fort a necessity.

1860’s photograph of soldiers from Fort Bowie heading out on Indian patrol (Ref. 2566)

Fort Bowie as it looked when Major Eugene Crittenden was there in 1874

All that remains of Fort Bowie today – 2013

It was during the early years of his service, Eugene married Laura.  The couple had two sons (John and Frank) and one daughter they named Sarah Ware Bacon Crittenden.  Born on August 17, 1859, Sarah was, therefore, the granddaughter of Governor and Mrs. John Crittenden on her paternal side and the great granddaughter of Elizabeth Ware and John Bacon on her maternal side.  Going even further back, Sarah was the great, great granddaughter of Sarah and William Ware and the great, great, great granddaughter of James and Agnes Todd Ware.

Laura Crittenden, Sarah’s mother, was able to help celebrate her daughter’s marriage on November 24, 1880, to Jacob Swigert Taylor, but Major Crittenden did not survive that long; dying an early death at the age of 41.  According to the Historical Register of the United States Army, on August 4, 1874, Eugene suffered a “sudden and severe heart attack.”  He was buried first in the post cemetery at Fort Bowie, but his body was disinterred shortly afterwards and shipped to his wife in Frankfort, Kentucky.  At the closure of Fort Bowie, the remains of all soldiers were removed to the San Francisco National Cemetery, so there is a tombstone for Eugene in California as well as one in Kentucky.

Fort Bowie Cemetery (Ref. 2566)


A dispatch received at the war department from Prescott Arizona announced the death at Camp Bowie on the 1st inst. of Major Eugene W. Crittenden of the fifth cavalry who died of apoplexy.  Major Crittenden was a native of Kentucky from which state he was appointed to the Military Academy.  Graduating in 1855, he was, in March, appointed second lieutenant in the first cavalry.  He was promoted to first lieutenant in 1850 and in May 1861, on the breaking out of the war, was promoted to a captaincy and assigned to a volunteer regiment.  During the war, he rose to the rank of Colonel in the volunteer service and on the disbanding of the Volunteer Army, he resumed his rank of Captain in the regular army.  In July 1866, he was promoted to the rank of Major.  New York Times

Grave for Eugene Crittenden located in California, and Grave for Eugene Crittenden located in Frankfort

Laura Ware Bacon Crittenden died in 1898 at age 65.

Grave for Laura Ware Bacon Crittenden

When Sarah Bacon Crittenden (known as Sadie) married J. Swigert Taylor at the age of 21, she became a member of another illustrious family with deep roots in both the history of Virginia and Kentucky. 


Jacob (usually called Swigert) was the son of Colonel Edmund Haynes Taylor (born 1830) and his wife, Frances Miller Johnson.  This Edmund Haynes Taylor was the son of John Eastin and Rebecca Edrington Taylor and the nephew of the Col. Edmund Haynes Taylor who had married Elizabeth S. Fall – daughter of Ann and Reverend Philip Slater Fall and granddaughter of Elizabeth Ware Bacon. (See chapter 8)

Col. E. H. Taylor came from a distinguished line of family members that shared a common ancestor in Col. James Taylor and his wife, Martha Thompson.  James and Martha had ten children, and at least four of these offspring (Frances, Zachary, George, and Erasmus) provided history-making grandchildren for the senior Taylors.  (1) Frances Taylor married Ambrose Madison and they became the parents of President James Madison.            (2) Zachary Taylor married Elizabeth Lee and they became the parents of President Zachary Taylor.  (3) George Taylor married Rachael Gibson and their family line would include not only Colonel E. H. Taylor, but the Crittenden line as well.  (4) Erasmus Taylor offered another link to the Ware family when he married Jane Moore.  Their daughter Elizabeth became the grandmother of Frances Toy Glassell, wife of Josiah William Ware, the great grandson of James Ware I and Agnes Todd Ware.  

George and Rachael Gibson Taylor had twelve children.  One of their sons, Richard (born in 1748) married Catherine Davis in 1770.  Richard and Catherine had seven children, although there were actually two sons named “Richard” - Catherine delivered one of the boys and the other Richard (known as “Hopping Dick because of an injury) was a child by another woman.

Grave for Richard Taylor and his wife

The biological son from the marriage of Richard and Catherine, Richard Jr., (born 1777) wed Mary (Polly) Taylor and they had the following five children:

(1)Edmund H. Taylor (born 1799) who wed Elizabeth Sarah Fall (the granddaughter of Elizabeth Ware Bacon)

(2)John Eastin Taylor (born 1803) who wed Rebecca Edrington

(3)George Colby Taylor (born 1805)

(4)William Henry Harrison Taylor (born 1812)

(5)Martha Christy Taylor (born 1823)


Memorial for Mary (Polly) Taylor and Richard Taylor, Junior

According to author William Railey,John Eastin Taylor and Rebecca Edrington were personally acquainted, if not sweethearts before they moved to Hickman County, the former from Franklin Co. the latter from Woodford.  It is possible that the two families moved to southern Kentucky at the same time, but Richard Taylor Jr., the father of John Eastin, was a magistrate in Franklin County in 1813, going to Hickman County a few years later where he engaged in surveying government lands, and it was at Columbus, Hickman County, that John Eastin Taylor and Rebecca Edrington were married.  They reared several children in that vicinity.” (Ref.1024) 

Rebecca was “the daughter of Joseph Edrington and Elizabeth Bohannon Cook, the widow of Jesse Cook who was killed by the Indians at the Old Innis Fort, three miles from Frankfort on Elkhorn April 28, 1792.” (Ref. 1024)   Elizabeth (born 1769) would end up displaying the incredible courage and fortitude that the pioneer women of those times needed.  The following excerpts of a story were told by one of her descendants, Dr. J. F. Cook, and published in 1908:

“The women were cheerily singing some old gospel song, when all at once they heard the ringing of rifles close to the cabin.  One of the men fell by the sheep he was shearing; the other man was shot, presumably near the heart or through it, but he ran and fell in the door and the women pulled him into the cabin and barred the door, which was made of heavy slabs. . . . When the door was barred the Indians made signs as if they would be very kind to them if they would let them in.  The one who had stayed behind to rob the dead man came up, and he could speak some English.  Aunt Peggy always thought it was Simon Girty, or someone he had taught some English to.  They fired the cabin first at the door, trying to burn the door out, but the women put this fire out with what water they had in the cabin.  The Indians then climbed up and threw fire through the upper cracks.  That was easily put out when it fell to the floor; but the women’s resources were very limited . . . .”   These brave women ended up having to use the bloody shirt of one of the fallen men and even raw eggs to try and put the fires out.  “One of the women found a piece of lead, bit off a piece, chewed it as round as she could in that short time, and they loaded the gun with this, and when it was loaded she peeped through the crack at the door-jamb and saw the Indians out in the front.  The chief, with his men around him, in order to strike terror to their hearts, told what he would do to them if they did not surrender; and thereupon the Indian sat down upon the body of Hosea Cook, having dragged it up in front of the home, and proceeded to scalp him, being directly in range . . . .  The gun was put through the crack and the Indian was shot squarely through the body.  Aunt Peggy said that when the ball struck the Indian he leaped high off the ground, gave a yell, and fell down dead.”   The Indians took the body of the dead Indian and threw it in the Elk Horn River and then left.  Peggy went on to share that “during the whole scene there was not tear shed, but after it was all over they took the bodies of their husbands and washed them and prepared them for burial.  And the dear old woman said it seemed as if they shed tears enough over them to wash their faces.  This is the story as I got it from my grandfather’s sister and from my grandfather.” (Old Kentucky by Dr. J. F. Cook)

Elizabeth Cook remarried and it was by her second husband, Joseph Edrington, she had Rebecca (and ten other children.)  Her daughter must have admired her courageous mother a great deal.

Joseph Edrington was active in church affairs and worked with William Ware in 1795 to find an appropriate meeting place for their Baptist church.  In 1812, when there was a movement to actually build the new church, the members of “the various committees appointed for these transactions were John Price, Silas Noel, Carter Blanton, William Samuel . . . William Ware, John Major, Joseph Edrington [Rebecca’s father], and William Graham.” (Ref. 2291)

In recent years there have been family letters donated to the Filson Club, Kentucky’s oldest privately supported historical society, and those letters, transcribed by Mike Vetch, provide some wonderful information about the Taylors.  In one entry Mike wrote:

“I am up to 1835 and John [Eastin] Taylor, his wife Rebecca, son Edmund and slave Tony have travelled to New Orleans in a flatboat.  Their daughter Eugenia was left behind with John's father, Richard Taylor Jr., in Columbus Ky.  John describes the trip and his apartments in New Orleans in a 2 January 1835 letter.  I also know that this is the year he dies and Edmund eventually ends up in Frankfort raised by his Uncle Edmund.” (Filson Club)

Indeed, John Eastin Taylor died in 1835, and Rebecca remarried on October 5, 1842, to Reverend William K. Young.  According to census records, daughter Eugenia was “living with Reverend William K. Young and his wife Rebecca and daughter Anna in Missouri.” Rebecca died on April 20, 1875, at the age of 75.

Born: 12 Feb 1830 Columbus, Hickman, KY, Died: 19 Jan 1923 Franklin, KY
2] EUGENIA TAYLOR lived with her stepfather, Rev. William Young, and his wife, Rebecca
Born: Sep 1833 KY, Died: after 1900
3] JOHN RICHARD TAYLOR married Virginia Ann Ellis around 1866
Born: 6 Mar 1835 KY, Died: 22 Apr 1926 Marion Co, MO

Graves for John Eastin Taylor and Rebecca Edrington Taylor (Young)

Rebecca and John Eastin Taylor’s son, Colonel Edmund Haynes Taylor, was born on February 12, 1830. Only five years old when his father died, he was raised in New Orleans where he attended school. “The well-educated youth moved back to Kentucky, where E. H. Taylor, Sr., adopted him.  In Frankfort, Taylor… followed in the footsteps of his adopted father and became involved in banking.” (Ref. Buffalo Trace website)

At the age of 22, Taylor married the beautiful Frances Miller Johnson “on December 21, 1852.” (Ref. 2279) The couple had seven children:  Jacob Swigert, Mary Belle, Rebecca, Eugenia, Kenner, Margaret Johnson, Edmund Watson, and Frances Allen Taylor.

E. H. Taylor, Jr., Portrait by Charles Sneed Williams 1918

Frances Johnson Taylor (Ref. 2527)


Colonel Edmund Haynes Taylor

Colonel Taylor was a man of many talents.  In 1870, he took many of the skills he had honed by working for his uncle in the banking business and applied them to his new venture of upgrading the Kentucky distillery business. He purchased the Swigert Distillery - located on the banks of the Kentucky River, where distilling and whiskey storage had been taking place on the site since 1787.  The first actual distillery was constructed by Harrison Blanton in 1812, and the oldest building on the site (built in 1792) was the home of Commodore Richard Taylor (great grandson of James Taylor who also had Erasmus Taylor, ancestor of Josiah Ware.)        

Taylor equipped the distillery with a modern boiler and immediately began to renovate, upgrade, and modernize the plant.  One of his first improvements was to replace worn out equipment with copper.  This innovative strategy was so successful that he ultimately named his business the O.F.C. (Old Fashioned Copper) Distillery and it was not long before his products were unrivaled.    The following information, found in the Kentucky Encyclopedia, was kindly provided by family researcher, Debbie McArdle:

“Bourbon production in the Franklin County area was at best crude and unreliable until after the American Civil War.  It was at this time that Colonel Edmund H. Taylor Jr. is credited with revolutionizing the distilling industry within central Kentucky.  Taylor established three distilleries within Franklin County.  The first, in 1868, was located on Glenn's Creek where James Crow began his whiskey making enterprise some years earlier.  This was the Old Taylor Distillery and produced the widely popular Old Taylor brand.  The main distillery building was constructed during the 1880s and resembled . . . ‘a medieval castle’.  Inside, Taylor substituted modern, sanitary distilling equipment for the unclean, wooden beer still which distilleries had used for decades.” (Kramer, Carl E. Capitol on the Kentucky, Historic Frankfort Inc.: Frankfort, 1986)

According to an article written in the Kentucky Bourbon Trail, “Colonel Taylor made an ultra fine whiskey on the famous site of the famous old Taylor plant, and it was the product of this plant that brought the Taylor whiskey a worldwide reputation.  In 1886 Colonel Taylor disassociated himself from all his other distilling interests and organized the firm of E. H. Taylor, Jr. & Sons, confining his operations exclusively to the old Taylor plant. Experts have pronounced the old Taylor plant the finest distillery in the world.”    (Ref. 2561)

Colonel Taylor “started and owned seven different distilleries throughout his career, the most successful being the O.F.C. and Carlisle distilleries; the forerunners of today’s Buffalo Trace Distillery.” (Ref. Wikipedia)   In 1878, The O.F.C. Distillery was purchased by George T. Stagg and Taylor devoted his energies more into agricultural venues. 

Then, in 1897, at age 16, Albert Blanton (born on a farm adjacent to the building) began work “as an office boy at what was then known as the George T. Stagg Distillery.” (Ref. Web)  Albert was the grandson of Dr. James Ware Bacon – so he therefore had relatives in both the Taylor and Crittenden lines.  (His mother, Alice Bacon Blanton was first cousins with Laura Ware Bacon Crittenden.)  As with Colonel Taylor, Albert had an uncanny business sense and under his management, the distillery business continued to flourish into what is still known as The Buffalo Trace.

Albert Blanton

Statue of Albert Bacon Blanton with the log cabin of Richard Taylor behind him
All color photos on this page courtesy of Judy C. Ware 2012

Carved Buffalo at the Buffalo Trace Distillery


While establishing his legendary reputation in the distillery business, Colonel Taylor and Frances had also been busy in the community and raising their family.  Taylor served as the mayor of Frankfort for almost seventeen years (from 1871-1887) - as well as being a local state representative to the Kentucky General Assembly and a member of the State Senate.  He purchased the home of the late Philip Swigert, and it was here that he and Frances lived with their children.  They named their lovely estate Thistleton and it was described by Carl Kramer as "no doubt one of the most splendid Queen Anne-style residences in Franklin County."  The home had 900 acres of park and farming lands adjoining” it.  

Thistleton (Ref. 2564)

(Ref. 2564)
Interior of Thistleton

Colonel Taylor made another name for himself in Kentucky history with his keen interest in breeding good livestock - particularly Hereford cows.  It was “about 1900, or a little later, Col. Taylor decided that the cattle interests of the United States were being neglected and immediately took advantage of the opportunity to promote a higher grade of cattle in Kentucky.” (Ref. 1024) Charles Kerr, in his History of Kentucky, provides a wonderful quote about Taylor that was written in an issue of ‘Breeder’s Gazette’ in 1921:  Col. Taylor “has left a record of achievement as a Hereford breeder that is more enduring than granite.”

Taylor lost his lovely wife on October 11, 1898, at the young age of 46. He would live another 25 years as a widower, dying on January 12, 1923.

Although the lettering is very hard to read, the following grave markers for both Frances and E. H. Taylor can be found in section “D” of the Frankfort Cemetery.


Frances Johnson Taylor      Edmund H. Taylor    

The following provides further information on the children that Colonel and Mrs. Taylor had.

(1)Jacob Swigert, usually just called Swigert, was born on September 30, 1853.  He married Sarah Bacon Crittenden.  Much more information on him will follow.  Swigert died September 17, 1928.

(2)Mary Belle Taylor was born September 20, 1855, and married Dr. J. Lampton Price.  She died in November 1941.


Grave for Mary Belle Taylor Price

(3)Rebecca Taylor, born on September 2, 1857, married    Richard W. Kline.

(4)Eugenia Taylor died in infancy.

(5)Kenner Taylor was born November 15, 1863, and married Juliet Rankin Johnson.  He died June 1, 1934.

(6)Margaret Johnson Taylor was born in September 1866, and married Philip Fall Taylor.  She died on August 19, 1929.

(7)Edmund Watson Taylor was born December 10, 1868, and married Stella Underwood.  He died July 10, 1964.

(8)Frances Allen Taylor was born on March 26, 1872, and married twice.  Her first husband was Pythian Saffell, and her second husband was James M. Saffell.

On November 24, 1880, J. Swigert Taylor married Miss Sadie Ware Bacon Crittenden, daughter of Eugene Crittenden and Laura Ware Bacon.  It is through this union that the three families (Ware, Taylor, and Crittenden) weave back into a union of both the families and their properties.

After their marriage, the Taylors “resided at the beautiful old family homestead of Thistleton” and raised their two children.  Sadie first delivered a daughter (Eugenia Taylor) but the little girl died very young.  Daughter (Mary Belle) and son (Edmund Taylor III) soon joined the family and both of these offspring lived to maturity. 

It is with deepest, heartfelt appreciation that I thank Crit Blackburn Luallen for the pictures of her great grandparents, grandparents, and parents on the following pages.  Her generosity knows no limit.

            J. Swigert Taylor           Sadie Bacon Crittenden Taylor

Swigert Taylor inherited his father’s keen sense of business and also his love of the land.  He and Sadie devoted their attention to the breeding, training, and racing of pedigreed horses; a business which was highly successful.  They lived in a lovely house called Point Breeze - not from Swigert’s boyhood home of Thistleton.

Point Breeze
Current photo courtesy of Crit Blackburn Luallen

By the early 1900s, Swigert and Sadie Taylor were in their 50s and busy planning the wedding of their daughter, Mary Belle, to Charles Walter Hay. (Ref. 2279)   A striking beauty, the bride was 26 at the time of her nuptials, and Charles (born on November 12, 1878) was five years older.

Mary Belle Taylor Hay


Charles Walter Hay

Mary Belle’s husband was the son of Charles Sherrod Hay and Mary Charlotte Runyon, and the grandson of George Washington Hay and his wife, Susan Jane Williams.  His family was from Clark County, Indiana, where his father and mother had wed in 1873.  Charles had four siblings:  Oscar Lee Hay, Jesse Hay (Matthews), Leila Hay (Haas), and Mabel Hay, who died at 17.

Before his marriage to Mary Belle, Charles “attended the public schools of Jeffersonville, a business college at New Albany, and graduated in 1896 from the Bryant and Stratton Business College at Louisville, where he specialized in stenography and bookkeeping.  The same year he went to work in the quartermaster’s depot for the United States Government at Jeffersonville, and was there two years, including the period of the Spanish-American war.  For another year he was in the general freight office of the Southern Railway Company at Louisville, and on November 1, 1899, came to Frankfort and for five years was assistant correspondent for the Kentucky Distilleries and Warehouse Company.  He then resumed his old business as a railroad man and for eight years was general freight and passenger agent for the Frankfort and Cincinnati Railway Company.  He then took up and developed a general insurance agency at Frankfort and gave his active supervision to the business until 1920.” (Ref. 2279)

Mary Belle, no stranger to education herself, “was a graduate of the well known Baldwin School at Staunton, Virginia.”  The facility was originally named Augusta Female Seminary in 1842, but was renamed in 1895 in honor of Mary Julia Baldwin, the longtime principal.  (Ref. 2279)  It had then (and still has) a wonderful reputation for academic excellence.

After their marriage, Charles had an interest in the petroleum industry . . . being secretary-treasurer of the Taylor-South-Hay Oil Company.” (Ref. 2279) He was “also vice president of the Hughes Drug Company which he helped organize in December, 1919 . . . secretary and treasurer of the Frankfort Realty Company and a director of E. H. Taylor, Jr., and Sons.” (Ref. 2279)   It seemed that there was little he could not do, but he really felt “an avocation in the raising and breeding of thoroughbred horses” and [was] at one time, “one of the stewards at the race meetings conducted by the Kentucky Jockey Club.” (Ref. 2279)  It was a passion he could certainly share with his father-in-law, since Swigert Taylor was such a horse enthusiast himself.

Mary Belle and Charles Hay married on September 2, 1909, and had a family of five children:  (1) Edmund Haynes Taylor Hay (b. August 12, 1910); (2) Eugenia Crittenden Hay (b. June 4, 1913), (3) Charles Walter Hay (b. October 20, 1914); (4) Jacob Swigert Taylor Hay (b. June 19, 1917 - died 3 months later); and (5) Jacob Swigert Taylor Hay (b. October 2, 1918).  These children had many memories of Thistleton because the oldest was 12 years old before his great grandfather (E. H. Taylor) died in 1922.  Sadly, however, Mary Belle Taylor Hay lost her mother even before then.  After 40 years of marriage, Sadie (Ware) Bacon Crittenden Taylor passed away on June 29, 1920, at age 62.

Lettering is very hard to read
Grave for Sadie Bacon Crittenden Taylor

It must have been difficult for Swigert Taylor to lose his beloved Sadie in 1920 and his father just two years later in 1922.  According to his grandson, Edmund H. Taylor Hay, in 1923, after his father’s death, Swigert Taylor took his inheritance and bought Scotland Farm for his daughter, my grandmother, Mary Bell Taylor Hay who is the granddaughter of Colonel Taylor . . . it was 650 acres at the time.” (Ref. Oral History)  The farm had once been called Locust Hill in the early 1800s, when the owner was Robert Scott.  It had been renamed ‘Scotland’ by the Mason family who purchased it from him.  (See Chapter 12)  Ironically, however, this property was originally known as Wareland when it belonged James Ware I - - - Sadie’s great great great grandfather!  The land had come full circle.  Mary Belle’s father, J. Swigert Taylor, died six years after his father, on September 17, 1928, at the age of 75.

(Ref. 2533)

                    Scotland                                             Color photos by Judy C. Ware 2012

Any color photographs were taken with the kind permission of one of the current owners of Scotland, John Hay.  I am deeply indebted to him for his hospitality and generosity in allowing me to visit his beautiful home.  John is also a descendant of James Ware (through J. Swigert Taylor and his wife, Sadie Bacon Crittenden).

Mary Belle and Charles Hay lived at Scotland the rest of their lives.  The beautiful formal gardens on the property were “laid out by Mrs. Hay with the intent of preserving those maintained since the Scott’s original gardens” (Ref. Historical Registry) It must have been a wonderful place to gather for family celebrations.

Old photograph (Registry)                                  Taken by Judy C. Ware 2012

Scotland Farm Gardens                               2012

Taken at sunset – exiting Scotland

Of the four adult children of Mary Belle and Charles Hay:

1.  Edmund H. Taylor Hay was born one year after Mary Belle and Charles got married, on August 10, 1910.  He later married Ruth Williams, and their descendants are the current owners of Scotland.

E. H. Taylor Hay                                       Ruth Williams Hay

2. Eugenia Crittenden Hay was born June 4, 1913, and she wed Samuel Everett Blackburn.  The Blackburns had a distinguished family history as well.  The descendants of Eugenia and Samuel currently own Wareland.

3.  Charles Walter Hay, born October 22, 1914, died tragically with his wife in a house fire on April 15, 1951.

4.  Jacob Swigert Taylor Hay, born June 19, 1917, only lived for three months and died on September 15, 1917.

5.    Jacob (Jake) Swigert Taylor Hay, born October 2, 1918, married Mary Elizabeth Hunter and passed away June 9, 1966.

In further transcriptions of the family letters, Mike Vetch writes:  I am about to wrap up the 1940's and move on to the 1950's.  Taylor Hay Jr. is a cadet at VMI.  Mary Belle is in Pine Manor Junior College near Boston.  Taylor Sr. is still managing the Union League Club in Chicago while his wife Ruthie and young son John (born in 1944) live on Scotland Farm near Frankfort.  I am in 1953 – C. W. Hay and his wife died in a house fire in 1951 and Kenner Taylor has passed away in July of 1953.  Taylor Hay Jr. has married and has Taylor Hay III.  Mary Belle Hay has also married.  They are breeding horses on Scotland Farm as well as sheep.” Mike Vetch

Scotland – photo taken by Judy C. Ware 2012

The lovely home of Mary Belle and Charles was decorated with a true eye for beauty.  Mrs. Hay [was] “a painter of portraits and collector of antiques, and the stately old home is filled with priceless family and museum pieces.” (Ref. 2533)

Entrance hall

  Her attention to detail shows clearly throughout the home.  “Handsome parquet floors of oak and other woods were installed over the original and poplar floors in most of the downstairs room at the turn-of-the-century.  The entrance hall, for instance, has a basket-weave pattern with a wide border.” (Ref. Historical Registry)

Old photo                    Current photos taken by Judy C. Ware 2012


Every detail, even down to the light fixtures, was done with the thought of enhancing the beauty of the breath-taking mansion.

Photos appearing in the National Register of Historic Places Inventory

“The third floor was reserved for the governess and seamstress.  Steps led to the roof, of which a portion was flat and had benches on which one might sit and have a magnificent view of the undulating Bluegrass country of over one thousand acres belonging to Scotland.” (Ref. 2533)   (Extra acres had been purchased over the years.)

Photo provided courtesy of the Kentucky Historical Society

The years at Scotland were happy ones when the children were growing, and many wonderful memories were made for the family and extended family.  Charles died on July 13, 1936, at the age of 58.  Mary Belle Taylor Hay would only live another three years - dying on November 8, 1939, at the young age of 56.  She and Walter had celebrated 30 years of marriage.


When Mary Belle’s daughter, Eugenia Crittenden Hay, married into the Blackburn family, she joined another prestigious Kentucky family.  The Kentucky patriarch was George Blackburn (born 1746) who was the “son of Edward and Anne Blackburn of Virginia and the grandson of William and Elizabeth Blackburn.” (Ref. 2291) George wed Prudence Berry (born 1754) in 1791.

His Will (WOODFORD COUNTY KENTUCKY, WILL BOOK E, PG. 202-04, names as heirs:  "Wife, Prudence; Daughters, Mildred White, (William White), Harriet Blackburn, Margaret KinKaide, Maria Blackburn, and Nancy Bartlett; sons, Churchill J., Jonathan, Edward, William B., and George."  The will was written 5th. September 1817

The following is from the Blackburn Family Bible in possession of Mrs. C. Douglas (Charlotte McKamy) Kelso, Jr. of Tennessee.  The original record is in the handwriting of her great great grandfather, Edward Mitchell Blackburn.


The Children of George and Prudence Blackburn

George Blackburn b. 16 January 1746, Glouchester Co., VA  d. 1817 Woodford Co, KY  marriage: Prudence Berry 19 Sept. 1771 in Louisa Co., VA
Nancy Ann b. 30 July 1772 in Middlesex Co., VA
William Berry b. 24 April 1774
Jonathan b. 10 Feb. 1776
Luke Pryor b. 14 Sept. 1777
Mary "Polly" b. 12 Dec. 1789
Mildred b. 25 August 1782
George Jr. b. 27 Nov. 1785, the first born in Woodford Co., KY
+Edward Mitchell "Uncle Ned" b. 10 Feb. 1787, Woodford Co.
Margaret Trotter "Peggy" b. 7 Oct. 1790
Churchill Jones b. 25 Sept. 1793
Prudence Rachael b. 11 July 1795

Note:  The home of George was located only a mile from Spring Station.  He and his wife moved to Woodford County in 1784.  His fort was used as a refuge, in the event of Indian attack, by all those within the vicinity.)

George Blackburn Family Cemetery

George died in 1817, and Prudence passed away in 1836. This cemetery was established for them and their family.  “Their many grandchildren included Kentucky Governor (1879-83) Dr. Luke Pryor Blackburn; U.S. Senator (1885-95, 1901-07) Joseph C. S. Blackburn, who was later chairman of the Lincoln Memorial Commission (1914-18); Kentucky Senator and Secretary of State James Blackburn; and St. Louis Mayor Edward Blackburn.” (Web)  In her will, the Blackburn's granddaughter Elizabeth J. Blackburn (wife of Dr. C. J. Blackburn) instructed her executor to "have a substantial stone wall built around my Grandfather Blackburn's family graveyard in Woodford County and to have the graves and monuments therein repaired and put in good order, the whole not to cost exceeding one thousand dollars." (Franklin County, Kentucky, Will Book 3, Pg 327)

“The cemetery is currently located on the Lane's End Farm (Fort Blackburn Division) on Old Frankfort Pike (KY 1681) near the Woodford/Franklin County border.  The cemetery can be accessed by appointment by contacting the Lane's End Farm Security Office at 1500 Midway Road near Versailles.  Security personnel must guide and accompany visitors to the cemetery.  Visitors must cross an active rail line that runs through the farm.” (Find a grave)

E. M. (Ned) Blackburn

One of the sons of George and Prudence was Major Edward (Ned) Mitchell Blackburn, who was born February 10, 1787.  At the age of 20, Ned married Lavinia St. Clair Bell in 1807.  His young bride was six months shy of her 14th birthday at the time.  The couple would have a very large family – with fourteen children.

Excerpt from Family Bible


E.M. Blackburn and Lavinia S. Bell were married Sept 3rd, 1807

Edward (“Ned”) Blackburn, was a lawyer and an avid horse breeder.  He “bred many racers on his farm which cornered at Spring Station just one mile distant from his father’s home.” (Ref.1024, 2291)   Their lovely property was named Equira (and the “71 lush acres” that surrounded it) added to its’ beauty.  It was here that the Blackburns raised their family; three of whom became very well known in politics.  Luke Pryor Blackburn was governor of Kentucky from 1879 to 1883, Joseph Clay Stiles Blackburn became a senator, and James Weir Blackburn served as the Kentucky Secretary of State from 1879 to 1883.  Lavinia was 69 years old when she died on June 3, 1863, and Ned died at age 80 on March 18, 1867. (Gravestones)



E.M. Blackburn was born Feb 10th, 1787
Lavinia S. Bell was born March 23th, 1794

George E. Blackburn was born July 6, 1810 - 4 o'clock A.M. 
John Bell Blackburn was born Nov. 29, 1811 - 2 o'clock P.M.
Frances Ann Blackburn was born May 28th,1813 - 4 o'clock A.M.
Luke P. Blackburn was born June 16th, 1816 - at sunrise in the morning.
Edward Lewis Blackburn was born Dec. 18th, 1817 - 8 o'clock P.M.
Mary Prudence Blackburn was born July 11th, 1819 - one hour before sunset.
Elizabeth Jane Blackburn was born April 3rd, 1821 - Tuesday 10 o'clock A.M.
William Edwin Blackburn was born Feb. 14, 1823 - Friday 8 o'clock A.M.
Henry Berry Blackburn was born 13th DEc., 1827 - Thursday 6 o'clock P.M.
Churchill Horace Blackburn was born 13th Dec., 1827 - Thursday 6 o'clock
Edward Mitchell Blackburn was born Sept 3rd 1829 - Friday 4 o'clock A.M.
Breckenridge Flournoy Blackburn was born Feb 25th, 1823 - 8 ocl;ock A.M.
James Weir Blackburn was born April 30th, 1834 -Wednesday 10 o'clock
Joe C. Stiles Blackburn was born Oct. 1, 1838 - 1 o'clock AM Monday
Lavinia B. Flournoy was born Nov. 28th, 1829 - Friday 12 o'clock


James W. Blackburn



James Weir Blackburn was born on April 30, 1834.  He married Henrietta Everett “January 6, 1846, 7 o’clock Thursday Evening,” and the couple had four children - - James, Mary, Samuel, and Henrietta.  (Ref. Family Bible)  James Blackburn joined the Confederate armed forces in Arkansas in 1861 and served until he was taken prisoner in 1864.  He was exchanged in February 1865 and then served until the end of the war.” (Ref. Web)  He then “served in “the State Senate from 1875 to 1879 and as Secretary of State from 1880 to 1883 in the administration of Luke P. Blackburn.  In 1890 he was a member of the constitutional convention. (Ref. Website for Kentucky politicians)

James and his family were clearly very proud of his service in the Confederate Army because his grave makes special mention of the fact.  When his son, James Jr., died, it was even written on his tombstone that he was “son of a Confederate soldier.”

Grave for James Weir Blackburn and Henrietta Everett Blackburn

It was through the brother of James (George E. Blackburn) that part of the Wareland estate came into the Blackburn family.  When the heirs of Samuel Ware sold some sections of the land in 1847, George purchased 24 acres.

Deed for sale of 24 acres of Wareland to George Blackburn

Henrietta Everett Blackburn carried on her maiden name with her son Samuel.  Born in 1861, (his tombstone says 1860) Samuel Everett Blackburn married a much younger lady.  The manifest for passengers aboard the voyage of ‘Cristobal’ to Ellis Island on February 13, 1916 shows the following listing:  

Ship Manifest

This would have made Lucy 20 years younger than Samuel (born in 1881) and verified Samuel’s birth year as 1861.  Lucy’s father, Robert Boggs Lyle, of Lebanon, Kentucky was “one of Kentucky’s foremost farmers and stockraisers and helped develop and train some of the great Kentucky horses of his time.” (Ref. 2279)

Lucy was a trained nurse and “her first duties in her profession were as director of physical training and head nurse at St. Mary's College, an Episcopal institution at Dallas, Texas.  According to her plans and specifications the college hospital was built, and she remained in active charge for several years.” (Ref. 2279)

Samuel and Lucy were married on October 30, 1907.  Senator Joseph Blackburn, Samuel’s uncle, “appointed him a Federal judge in the canal zone, and he lived on the Isthmus of Panama” with Lucy for ten years.  (Ref. 2279)  It was in the Canal Zone that their two children were born:  Henrietta Lyle in 1908, and Samuel Everett Jr., in 1910.  Judge Blackburn “resigned in the spring of 1918 on account of ill health” and returned to Lebanon.  (Ref. 2279)

Commemorative stamp for Joseph Clay Styles Blackburn (Uncle of Samuel) who served on Canal Commission and as Governor of the Canal Zone 1907-09

It was the only son of Judge Samuel Blackburn and his wife, Lucy, (Samuel Everett Blackburn Jr.) who wed lovely Eugenia Crittenden Hay.  Born on August 9, 1910, the groom was three years older than his bride, who was born on June 4, 1913.

Eugenia Crittenden Hay Blackburn - Samuel Everett Blackburn

Eugenia gave birth to six children:  (1) Samuel Everett Blackburn, (2) James Weir Blackburn, (3) Robert Lyle Blackburn, (4) Jacob Swigert Blackburn, (5) Edmund Taylor Blackburn, and (6) Eugenia Crittenden (Crit) Blackburn.  Sometime before her marriage, Eugenia had received a letter from her father telling her that he had purchased a farm he had been anxious to buy.  His 155-acre acquisition was none other than a sizable portion of what was originally known as Wareland.  It was on this farm that the Blackburns would raise their family.

Samuel died on May 20, 1969, and Eugenia passed away on October 8, 1986.  It is through the children of Samuel and Eugenia Crittenden Hay Blackburn that the legacy of Wareland still continues.  Their offspring are the great (X 6) grandchildren of James and Agnes Todd Ware.  It is almost surreal to realize that, as of 2013, the property known as Wareland and the property known as Scotland are both owned by the grandchildren of Mary Belle Hay – and those owners are descendants of James Ware I of Virginia.  The land is, today, as beautiful and beckoning as it was for him when he first set foot on it 230 years ago! 

In a nutshell, the lineage of the first owners of Wareland to the current owners looks like the following:

(1)James & Agnes Ware had William Ware
(2)William & Sarah Ware had Elizabeth Ware
(3)Elizabeth Ware (Bacon) & John Bacon had Williamson
(4)Williamson Ware Bacon & Anna Marie Noel had Laura
(5)Laura Ware Bacon (Crittenden) & Eugene Crittenden had Sadie
(6)Sadie Crittenden (Taylor) & Swigert Taylor had Mary Belle
(7)Mary Belle Taylor (Hay) & Charles Hay had Eugenia
(8)Eugenia Hay (Blackburn) & Samuel Blackburn had 6 children
(9)Their surviving children (one being Eugenia Crittenden (i.e., Crit) Blackburn Luallen) are the current owners of Wareland.

While on a research trip for this book, my husband and I had the honor of meeting Crit Blackburn Luallen.  This generous and kind lady welcomed me into her home without any advance notice, and in an unbelievable act of hospitality and graciousness, she provided me with answers to questions that have intrigued family researchers for generations.  There are no words to adequately express the depth of my gratitude to Crit for the precious gift of history that she so warmly shared with me.  What a blessing she has been to, not only me, but every Ware researcher for generations to come.  The following photographs are like “buried treasure” for all of us who can trace our roots back to James and Agnes Ware.  To look at the beautiful land that called the Wares out of Virginia into Kentucky is like breathing life into our past.

The current house (built in the early 1900s) sits on the original Wareland property owned by James Ware in 1783.


What a view!


Supporting Documentation for Addendum

Children of:

Williamson Ware Bacon      and               Anne Maria Noel

B. March 7, 1804    November 3rd, 1824    B. circa 1808

D. March 17, 1845                          D. 1850


1.   Maria Elizabeth Bacon  born April 11, 1826  died Oct. 6, 1873

married John Adair Monroe

2.   Laura Bacon   born February 1833    died 1898

 married Eugene Wilkinson Crittenden



Children of:

Richard Taylor Jr.              and          Mary (Polly) Taylor (his cousin)

B. December 2, 1777                           B. September 21, 1781

D. October 1835                                  D. December 9, 1856

  1.  Edmund Haynes Taylor   born June 4, 1799      died April 24, 1873          married (1)Elizabeth Clay, (2)Louisa Ann Brown Hart, (3) Martha Southgate Taylor, and (4) Elizabeth Sarah Fall

  2. John Eastin Taylor   born September 23, 1803   died February 5, 1835           married Rebecca Edrington

 3. George Colby Taylor   born October 15, 1805      died April 7, 1871           married (1) Virginia Singletary and (2) Isabella B. Winn

  4. William Henry Harrison Taylor   born January 6, 1812      died 1868          married (1) Nancy B. Eskrige and (2) Catherine Smith Robinson

*** Interesting side note - - Richard was described as having “an extraordinary physique, measuring six feet two inches and weighing about 250 pounds – having not an ounce of surplus flesh, carrying a frame of bone and muscle.” (Ref. 1024)


Children of:

Jacob Swigert Taylor       and     Sarah (Sadie) Bacon Crittenden      

B. September 30, 1853     1880   B. August 17, 1858

D. September 17, 1928                D. June 29, 1920

1.   Mary Belle Taylor   born September 20, 1883   died November 8, 1939

            Married Charles Walter Hay on September 2, 1909


Children of:

Col. Edmund Haynes Taylor       and       Frances Miller Johnson

B. February 12, 1830                1852       B. September 10, 1832

D. January 12, 1923                                D. October 11, 1898

   1. Jacob Swigert Taylor  born September 30, 1853   died September 17, 1928          married Sarah Bacon Crittenden 

   2. Mary Belle Taylor   born September 20, 1855   died          married Dr. J. Lampton Price

   3.  Rebecca Taylor    born September 2, 1857       married Richard W. Kline

   4. Eugenia Taylor died in infancy

   5. Kenner Taylor   born November 15, 1863    died June 1, 1934           married Juliet Rankin Johnson

   6. Margaret Johnson Taylor   born September 1866   died August 19, 1929         married Philip Fall Taylor

   7. Edmund Watson Taylor   born December 10, 1868  died July 10, 1964         married Stella Underwood

    8. Frances Allen Taylor   born March 26, 1872      married Pythian Saffell,  2nd husband being James M. Saffell.



Children of:

Mary Belle Taylor                   and              Charles Walter Hay                 

B. September 20, 1883    1909         B. November 12, 1878

D. November 8, 1939                        D. July 13, 1936

1. Edmund H. Taylor Hay   born August 12, 1910    died  July 17, 1995 married Ruth Williams

2. Eugenia Crittenden Hay born June 4, 1913    died  October 8, 1986 married Samuel Everett Blackburn.

3.  Charles Walter Hay born October 22, 1914      died  April 15, 1951         married Nell Hunter

4. Jacob Swigert Taylor Hay  born June 19, 1917  died September 15, 1917only lived 2 months

5. Jacob (Jake) Swigert Taylor Hay born October 2, 1918  died June 9, 1966 wed Mary Elizabeth Hunter    




George Washington Hay     wed           Susan Jane Williams

B. 1798                                                  B. 1817

D. 1886                                                  D. 1891

                                                    They had:

Charles Sherrod Hay           wed            Mary Charlotte Runyon

B. 1853                                1873           B. 1856

They had: (1) Oscar Lee Hay, (2) Jesse Hay (Matthews), (3) Charles Walter Hay, (4) Leila Hay (Haas), (5) Mabel – died at 17

Extra References used just for this section

Across  the Continent 
Fifth Cavalry, Compiled by: George F. Price 
Captain Fifth Cavalry, U. S. Army, With Four Portraits On Steel 
New York: D. Van Nosteand, Publisher, 83 Murray Street and 27 Warren Street. 1883. 

Information was found on this site: Transcription of family letters donated to the Filson Club and researched by Mike Veach

Return to Home Page

This site maintained by John Reagan and last updated